We are in prime shrimp season here at Majestic Oaks RV Resort and Mississippi is well-known for its delicious southern cooking, especially when it comes to barbecue. One simple and tasty campfire recipe that you can try when grilling in Mississippi is BBQ Grilled Shrimp, a dish that celebrates the state’s Gulf Coast heritage.
Mississippi BBQ Grilled Shrimp
- 2 lbs of fresh, jumbo Gulf Coast shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup of your favorite Mississippi-style barbecue sauce (A good Mississippi-style BBQ sauce would typically be sweet and spicy, with a base of tomato, brown sugar, and vinegar. You can find many recipes online or buy from local markets.)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden or metal skewers
- If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 30 minutes before grilling. This prevents them from burning on the grill.
- In a large bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, olive oil, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl and toss them until they’re thoroughly coated with the sauce. Let the shrimp marinate for about 30 minutes to an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat your grill (or get your campfire ready) for medium-high heat.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers.
- Grill the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until they’re opaque and nicely charred. Be careful not to overcook them, as shrimp can become rubbery if they’re left on the grill for too long.
- Serve the grilled shrimp with extra barbecue sauce on the side, and enjoy!
Please note that cooking times can vary depending on the heat of your fire, so it’s best to keep a close eye on your shrimp as they’re grilling.